Thursday, October 1, 2009

May the road rise with you

I am a child of the 80's. Except that during the 80's, besides watching the Greatest American Hero and wearing neon sweatshirts, I really didn't listen to 80's music all that much. I've always been about 20 years behind on things. So during the 80's I was discovering The Beatles and The Monkees (much thanks to MTV for running their show after school). I became OBSESSED with both bands, mostly The Monkees. I even got to go see them in concert when they ran out of money and decided to tour with Herman's Hermits. Ahh, good times. So besides owning a Pet Shop Boys record and getting some cool mix tapes from my friend Michele, I wasn't terribly in tune with 80's music when it was fresh and new. Which is why I find it hilarious that my favorite station to listen to right now is XM 44 - 1st Wave - Classic Alternative. They play basically every 80's song I've ever loved. The Smiths, Depeche Mode, INXS, Pet Shop Boys, Erasure, The Clash, U2, The Police, New Order, Yaz, Psychedelic Furs, The Ramones, Talking Heads, Devo, Echo and the Bunnymen, Joy Division, The Cure, Joe Jackson, OMD, Talk Talk, Morrissey, this list is HUGE and they are all AWESOME and listening to it makes me giddy like a little schoolgirl. With no commercials! So that part where I said I was always 20 years behind on things? Yeah, I'm nothing if not consistent.

P.S. Dear MTV,
I hardly recognize you. I remember when you were cool and actually played music videos. Do you remember what the MTV stands for? That's "Music Television." Not "Crappy Reality Show Television." Come back to us MTV. We miss you.
Love,
Children of the 80's

No comments: